Friday, January 12, 2007

Garmin Nuvi 660

This is a cool bit of kit.

I'd wanted a GPS (for some reason) for quite some time. A TomTom seemed to be the obvious choice - they're clearly the market leader, and I was quite prepared to buy one.

To get the tax write-off, I needed to get one by the end of 2006 and in my typical prepared fashion, I went shopping on December 31st.

Probably something to do with the retail frenzy that was going on at the end of the year, but everyone was out of TomToms. Every shop, every model. BestBuy, Staples ... all out.

I had remembered seeing them at Sharper Image, so I headed off there to see what they had. That's when I saw the Garmin Nuvi, and the simplicity of the thing is what sold me. This is so simple to use, that even my tech-challenged girlfriend was able to use it with no instruction whatsover. This is product design at its best: simple, intuitive and packed with features.

No comments: