Monday, March 10, 2008

Day eleven - trashcans revisited

Got here a bit later than usual this morning - but what the hell. It's not as if I missed some crappy status meeting is it?

Went out for a steak last night for Heather's birthday. Moderate amount to drink.

Don't miss working int he slightest. And I'm certainly not bored. Time seems to go so quickly - this is the end of the second week of the rat race escape already. I tested the market by applying for a few jobs today that I didn't want. Got an email back - love this one - offering me equity stake in the company in lieu of compensation. Now, call me old-fashioned, but I rather thought that people liked to interview/meet a prospective employee first. That's the first time I've been offered part of a company on the initial contact. Jokers.

I wonder if anyone watches me the same way as I watch others sitting here every morning? There must be people that think "oh - there's that guy writing in his book again". There's a guy 2 benches away who has a rocking problem (I've noticed that seems to be quite a common quirk). Just sitting there rocking back and forth. Apart from that - looks totally normal.

Well, except for his bag which looks like it contains several severed heads. Just kidding.

I haven't seen many dumpster divers recently but, just like buses, two came along at the same time. Really sad looking woman, maybe 50s, ripped up jeans, carpet slippers, dirty old winter coat looking through the trashcans. Didn't find anything she liked the look of, obviously.

Then some old dude - they actually crossed paths but didn't acknowledge each other. You'd think the conversation would have been:

Man: anything good in there?
Woman: nah - just a banana skin and some bagged-up dog shit
Man: oh, great - I was looking for a bag! Thanks.
Woman: You're welcome.

But seriously ... he's dressed a lot better - leather coat that has a rip in the right arm. Waterproof pants - smart-looking shoes. And a leather bag. He's fishing newspapers out with a very weathered look on his face. And what looks like a hat - but might actually be a pair of ladies' tights.

He's arranged the paper (from the trash) on the bench to sit on. Getting food out of his bag - chocolate pudding and a bread roll. Huh? For breakfast? Now throwing his bread at the birds.

Craaaaazeeeeeeee.

No comments: